My Rating for the whole series: ⭐️⭐️⭐️1/2
Title: Dark King ; Fallen King ; Rising Queen
Author: C.N. Crawford
Format: eBook (borrowed – KU)
Pages: Book #1 – 296 ; Book #2 – 272 ; Book #3 – 308
Catergories: Mythology, Urban Fantasy, Romance
A snarky fae, a sexy king, and forbidden desire deep as the sea. The first book in a three-book series.
Once, I was a fae princess with sea-magic at my fingertips. Now? I’m a hunted supernatural in a squalid shop, stripped of my power. My only comforts are stale cookies, Elvis records, and my hula-hoop. Until a lethally sexy fae king arrives and rips even those away.
After the brutal king throws me in prison, I strike a bargain with him: my freedom in exchange for helping him find a magic blade. What Lyr doesn’t know is that the blade might restore my stolen magic.
But as we journey, the gorgeous jerk is starting to make me feel things I’ve never felt. When Lyr touches me, desire ignites. I see raging passion in his eyes, too. If I give in, I risk losing my chance at reclaiming my power. Even worse… I could be forfeiting my life.
I started this series so I could make use of my Kindle Unlimited membership and I needed a light, quick urban fantasy read. I read this whole series in two days, that’s how quick it was. This is the first book I read from this author duo and this is how it went:
Dark King – Book #1: should be called Dark Queen because it introduces us to Aenor who is a thief struggling to survive in the street with her human Gina. Aenor once was a Morgan sea fae set to inherit a kingdom but those dreams are dashed when her home is destroyed. This means Aenor has great powers and Now all she has on her mind is revenge, to take down the being that destroyed her world, but who did it?
- I don’t read a lot about the sea fae so I liked that I got to learn about sea creatures from mythology. Another thing is that Aenor is from the kingdom of Ys. I only heard about that legend in another book so seeing it here in depth was pretty cool!
- Lyr, the demi-god is of course a hot alpha fae and there is an attraction between them but…what is up with his friends? 🙄 Anyway Lyr needs Aenor to find something and he seems into her…but is he really?
- Aenor as a character is ballsy, can kick ass, hates men (because her mom was this crazy Queen who killed her husband and wore the blood stained dress for ages and told Aenor to never trust men – okay…lol 😳). Aenor is soft when it comes to her human Gina and also she is a defender of abused women – she kills dangerous men.
- It’s a quick read, pure escapism, with hot gorgeous fae.
Life in a fae castle should be pretty sweet. Except, my lover wants to take my magic from me, and I made a deal with the devil. Literally.
Salem is the light-bringer, gorgeous as sin and just as evil. Some call him Lucifer. What do I call him? Whatever he tells me to, because he’s cast a mind-control spell over me. He hates me, but I have a plan. I’ll lead him to a sorcerer who can kill him.
But as I journey with the fallen god, I see him watching me, wanting me. And it’s mutual. Turns out fate has a sick sense of humor, because my destiny ties me to Salem. Still, I have to stop him before he gets what he wants. Because if I fail, he will unleash hell on earth.
Fallen King – Book #2: we find out the person who destroyed Aenor’s kingdom is Lucifer himself! He’s smooth, has more of a personality than Lyr does haha…and he has a backstory that isn’t the same stuff we here about him falling from the sky, he’s evil…la la la. Also, his name is Salem.
- The chemistry between Salem and Aenor is much better than with her and Lyr. But prophecy said she has to kill him to protect the world and for him, he has to kill her to ascend back to heaven so….what to do?
- We learn about Lucifer’s past when we ruled the kingdom of Mag Mel. Seriously, this guy has a past and I appreciate that he has a story. And he’s trying to find someone he cared about that Aenor supposedly killed so…there’s a lot these two have to work out huh?
- I like Aenor’s battles so far in this series with mythological monsters. The series so far has a lot of action to keep it moving and much more sexual tension in this one. I mean…it is the devil Aenor’s dealing with.
My mate lies in a rotting cage at the bottom of the sea, and I’ll do anything to get him back. Maybe he’s the devil himself, but he made the ultimate sacrifice for me.
When my plan backfires, I’m left with a lethal hex surging in my veins. Now, I only have a few days to live. And Salem? He’s wrestling with a dark curse of his own, one that he says makes him burn..
He keeps saying this ends with one of us dead, that our story is a tragedy. But I’m determined to rewrite the tale fate has penned for us. If I can’t, he warns I could die at his hands.
Rising Queen – Book #3: Aenor and Salem can’t seem to let one another go. They fight more creatures, have more sexy times and they still have to decide who dies and gets their happily ever after. Can they find a way to be together and both get what they want?
- Love Aenor and Salem together – he may be Lucifer but she can definitely keep up with him. And he keeps up with her also, I’m so glad they have their happy ending.
- I loved Ossian who is Salem’s servant but becomes a good friend to Aenor.
- I enjoyed the witches that were featured in this series alongside the sea fae, fallen angles, Shadow Fae and the legend of Ys. Having them leap into portals and different worlds kept the story moving at a fast pace.
- All the books in this series were 300 pages and under which means…this could have easily been condensed into one book but I know Kindle Unlimited book series don’t work that way and that’s fine! All the cliffhangers in this series made me want to read the next volume.
This series was pure fun urban fantasy about the sea fae and then some. It had everything from humor, adventure, fights, monsters, devils, gods, lust, and love. Overall, the whole series was entertaining and let me escape a bit.