My Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️1/2
Title: The Hunter and the Mage (The Raven and the Dove, #2)
Author: Kaitlyn Davis
Format: eBook (NetGalley)
Publication Date: 9/21/20
Publisher: Kaitlyn Davis
Categories: Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance
Disclaimer: **I received this book free from the author in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.**
A mage written in prophecy…
When Lyana wakes in the Sea of Mist, adventure is the first thing on her mind. But between her unruly new magic and an unyielding young king, the world below comes with more responsibility than she ever dreamed. An entire civilization exists within the fog, and its survival depends entirely on her.
A hunter forged in blood…
Adrift at sea on a ship full of strangers, Rafe fights to cope with his new reality. He’ll do anything to return to the sky and the people he left behind. When a surprising offer comes his way, he instantly accepts, sparing no time to consider the consequences.
Loyalties are tested and an ancient war begins anew…
With rebellion in her heart, Cassi defies her king and befriends the prince she’s been ordered to kill. Oblivious to the threat, Xander welcomes her into his inner circle, determined to rescue his mate. As one works to help and the other to hinder, an ancient enemy stirs, forcing Cassi to choose between trusting the man who broke her heart and turning her back on everything she’s ever known.
Thank you to Kaitlyn Davis for giving me a chance to read a copy of this book for an honest review.
Let’s break it down:
My Attention: intrigue by the world in the mist
World Building: love the world building of these two worlds separated by mist and lore…but two different versions
Writing Style: easy to digest, flows nicely
Bringing the Heat: 🔥
Crazy in Love: Rafe and Lyana will always be…but the other couple? We shall see…
Creativity: I enjoyed learning more about this world of magic and winged people
Triggers: violence, betrayal
My Takeaway: Forgiveness.
- We get more of Xander and Cassi. Yes I wanted more of Cassi and honestly, but wow…Cassi. Oh Cassi. She fascinated me in book one, especially after that cliffhanger ending. I wanted to know her motivations and how far she would go…and how she could put aside her love and friendship with Lyana. She almost went too far for her to be redeemed in my eyes…but Lyana has a bigger heart than I do!
- The world building is as lush as ever. I love this innovative story of bird people, it’s so different.
- Since this is mostly Xander and Cassi’s story, we get a few chapters on Rafe and Lyana. They are going through their own challenges and hardships but it’s a trial they have to go through.
- The twist was unexpected! It came at the end and made me wish book three was out.
- The are many perspectives in the story and this time around for some reason there were times I felt like I was zoning out of the story. There is Xander, Cassi, Rafe, Lyana, Malek and even Brighty (a new character), gets a chapter. So there was a lot going on.
- This is a light fantasy and for me the second half of the book was better than the first half because it had so much more action with people finally coming together after being apart for most of the book.
- Malek is an interesting character because he’s training Lyana to use her real magic and comes off as maybe someone who isn’t conniving and scheming – he even made me forget for a moment that he sent Cassi to infiltrate Lyana’s world. But he really is a villain…ugh…
There is a lot to like in this sequel, especially if you were waiting for Xander and Cassi to get some page time. You get it in this book! We get to venture into the mist with Rafe and Lyana. Also, we get to learn more about Malek. It makes me wonder what book three will be like…what will Malek do? How will everyone react to Lyana and Rafe? Will Cassi ever find happiness? And will Brighty’s role be in all of this?! So many more questions to answer and I look forward to reading book three.
💕 ~ Yolanda
The author, Kaitlyn Davis is having a giveaway! Go to this link to check out the details: